Image via Wikipedia
It is said that taboo challenges one's free speech and individual rights to express a subject or issue in need to be addressed.
Dictionary and Encyclopedia define Taboo as any of the negative traditions, objects, or behaviors generally regarded as harmful to social welfare or something that is forbidden by a society as unacceptable or improper. It is a strong social prohibition relating to any area of human activity or social custom that is sacred and forbidden based on moral judgment and religious beliefs. Breaking the taboo is usually considered ill-favored or offensive by society.
The below are some taboo subjects that according to some experts should be avoided such as:
(1) Rape – Until now there are people unhappy to read stories which feature a sexual assault or which has rape as a central theme especially when it is written from the rapist’s viewpoint.
(2) Prostitution – Anything that seems to glamorize prostitution will be frowned on and any story dealing with an underage prostitute may cause you headaches if you describe him/her in any sex act. It is illegal.
(3) Under Age Sex – Any story that deals with children being treated as objects of desire or being forced into sex is out and should not be discussed.
(4) Incest – Sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other or about the crime of making-love with a parent, child, sibling, or grandchild.
(5) Phone Sex Lines – They are also considered as taboo even though they are dealt with in a humorous way.
(6) Promiscuity - The state or quality of being promiscuous. In human sexual behavior, it denotes sex with relatively many partners.
(7) Fetishism – It deals about an object believed to have supernatural powers, or in particular, a man-made object that has power over others or the practice of using an inanimate object as the focus of sexual pleasure.
(8) AIDS – This is also considered as taboo contents. Many people are still uncomfortable to read stories about the subject maybe because some people do not fully understand the condition and still scared by reading about it.
(9) Stalking – Avoid advocating stalking or describing a man lustfully watching his prey undressing or telling the story in a manner through the eyes of the stalker.
(10) Drugs – This is one of the big taboos. Whatever your own personal views – still many people are vehemently opposed to drug-taking in any form.
(11) Child Abuse – No matter how beautifully and meaningfully you wrote the story it is still regarded as taboo. Avoid having a story where an innocent friendship grows between a child and an older man or woman. It will be viewed with suspicion.
(12) Unmarried Mothers – Avoid writing articles dealing with unmarried mothers. Some people still regarded them as forbidden subjects.
(13) Living in Sin – This falls into the same category as unmarried mothers. Some people will still be unhappy about the thought of a couple cohabiting who are not legally wed.
(14) Divorce – Some people are still uncomfortable to read stories about divorce or the split up a marriage.
(15) The Disabled – This is also considered as taboo by some people.
(16) Homosexuality – Avoid story describing homosexual love making. Many people still believed that this can cause grave offence.
(17) Social Irresponsibility – This is also regarded as taboo especially if your story is telling about irresponsible and scandalous behaviour of people.
(18) Violence – This is another of the great taboos especially if against women. It is a big no.
(19) Domestic Violence – Anything that describes domestic violence in any emotionally moving or disturbing way is likely to run into problems such as wife-beating, mysterious black eyes and girlfriends fleeing to refuges.
(20) Poverty – Some people considered it as depressing. The truth hurts.
(21) Old People – This is also considered as taboo.
(22) Minority Groups – Avoid portraying members of minority groups.
(23) Using Black as a Symbol of Evil or Depression – Some people claim that this has all sorts of sinister and racist connotations.
(24) Criminals – People do not want criminals to benefit from their crimes. And there are people uncomfortable to read stories advocating criminals.
(25) Swearing – This is one of the biggest taboos of all!
Taboo contents are hot subjects that can attract people to read and invite search engine crawlers and spiders to hang on. But some people considered them not healthy subjects or topics to discuss and to share them to a decent site.